Saturday, January 22, 2011

Under Pressure

I was recently aimlessly browsing Wikipedia and came upon the entry for E.J. Corey. In case you’re unfamiliar with Corey, he is a professor at Harvard and probably the most well-known living organic chemist, largely because his lab has completed many syntheses of complex natural products and has developed a number of widely-used reactions. But there’s also some notoriety associated with his name, and in the insular world of academic chemistry, it’s difficult to remain ignorant of the gossip surrounding professors as famous as Corey. In 1998, a graduate student in the Corey lab named Jason Altom committed suicide, famously blaming Corey in one of the notes he left. I don't want to focus on the suicide here, though, since it's a far-removed event that I have no insight on.

I was reading about Altom’s suicide and came across this New York Times Magazine article, which I think does a stellar job of painting a portrait of the pressures that chemistry graduate students at top institutions feel. I would highly recommend reading it if you are thinking about a graduate program in chemistry. I want to excerpt one passage from the article that I found particularly illustrative:

“In some labs, [the graduate students] even resorted to little tricks to impress the lab chief. The extra jacket on a hook in the lab, so it looked as if you were around even if you'd gone home. Having someone open your lab door and turn on the lights in the morning, so it looked as if you were already in. Putting a stirrer -- a magnetic object that stirs liquids together -- in a flask, so it would look as if you had a reaction going on. One student told me he never left a note to a fellow student open on the desk, because it might suggest you weren't around; notes were folded over, with an X on top, to indicate there was a message within.”

I couldn’t believe this passage when I first read it. Worrying about whether someone will look for my jacket if I’m not at my desk? Wasting time and mental energy setting up a fake experiment in case someone comes by? These things would never have occurred to me, and, I believe, ought to serve as an indictment of the pressures that some grad students are under to spend all of their time in lab. I would be shocked to find out that anyone in my lab--or even in most of the labs in the chemistry department at Berkeley--was resorting to faking long hours to impress a research adviser. But I say “most” because the working environment of labs varies widely, and is often worse in small labs where it’s easier for advisers to keep tabs on their students. When I visited The Scripps Research Institute, one of the graduate students I met complained incessantly about her adviser: this adviser, a relatively young faculty member with a lab of about ten people, would check in on his students’ progress several times a day and even go through their lab notebooks when they weren’t around to check up on their productivity. In labs like these, I can imagine why students would feel that they needed to resort to the types of tricks described in the article to gain favor with a professor. I would never join a lab that had this type of culture. Most of the labs at Berkeley aren’t like this, I suspect, in part because between teaching obligations and larger lab sizes, professors at Berkeley are too busy to spend their time taking attendance.

But while overbearing advisers are often a problem, each situation is unique. The pressure that graduate students feel to work long hours is often self-generated--if I just put in an extra hour every day, I'll be able to publish an extra paper before I graduate--or is often a product of pressure applied by other students in the lab--peers commenting that a student always gets in late or chats with labmates too much. This is yet another reason to thoroughly do your homework before joining a lab.

9 comments:

  1. This is a description of my application process/decision for anybody interested. I give advice with the impression that it was important, but the reader should take it as more of an opinion than a scientific or philosophical fact (if there is such a thing).

    I have been very interested by your blog over the last few months in making my decision to attend graduate school. The impression I get from most people is that making up your mind should be some type of procedure, almost like an assignment given at school. It sometimes feels like people are worried about the "grade" they will receive on the class of that university they would like to attend. What I did was look at people from the physics, chemistry, statistics and even math departments at various universities, and I emailed people at one university I had my heart set on. I ended up annoying people in various departments there with too many questions, and probably would not even have been considered if I had applied- they probably would have sighed when they had to look at my name again. But, this worked to my benefit in the end because I then chose to look at other people and had a lot of experience in this second round effort.

    My general impression of professors of interest was that they were interested in hearing from a student, but weary from answering (many?) such emails and sceptical of the students interest. I tried to abolish the latter impression as much as possible.

    I managed to strike a few chords in different areas of interest to me, and then managed to whittle my interests down as I was able to focus more and more. I had to make my mind up as to which of 3 departments to apply to at Berkeley, nevermind who I wanted to work with! However, I had a pretty sound knowledge of the background and research of people I contacted.

    I applied to Chemistry at Berkeley in the end. The thing I decided attracted me most to this environment (along with other universities I was considering), was that there was good trust between students and advisors. If I am a student, I do not want to be worried whether the project my advisor gives me is going to be useful to humankind in 10 years time. Although I do want to work on something relevant and interesting, I most of all want to be able to trust my advisor so that I could work to my full potential and not question their belief/interest in any project.

    Another thing exciting to me about Berkeley is that they do not force you to think along one path only. There seems to be strong encouragement to do well, but that doesn't necessarily mean working without stop on one thing, it seems like taking time to think outside the box is appreciated, and that having interest in other areas of science is important in order to bring to perspectives to the science. Any problem can have interesting aspects and some of the people studying interesting things might have interesting perspectives to you. Try to find one high impact paper, and then look at the interesting cited papers which will lead you on to more interesting papers.

    Cornell is another place I was interested in which seemed to emphasize interdepartmental collaboration and trust in student ability. I think they could have been a close contender if I had not already made up my mind.

    My Advice:
    Make sure you will enjoy your PHD and what you have chosen. Put lots of effort into your decision and don't expect to be congratulated for this effort (I was castigated by my parents and others who thought it was pointless) because in the end nobody will care except your happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have specified that I think your blog does a good job of discouraging looking at graduate schools as some type of assignment. I kept looking here every week to see if there was a new post because I thought it was so nice and informative. The feeling I get from it is parallel to the feeling I get from other students I have talked to in Berkeley.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Corey is probably just one of the thousands of overbearing advisers out there. I used to think that the slave-driving phenomenon was limited to the sciences, until a friend of mine from a very different field started ranting about his own grad school experience.

    I've taken the liberty of creating a website for prospective students and postdocs to rate their current and/or former advisers, in the hope that with enough reviews, the site will eventually become a useful resource for researchers trying to pick a group. Hopefully the ratings there can prove more informative than the less-than-honest and somewhat canned answers coming from hypocritical PI's and their grad students during visitation weekends.

    http://www.myevilprofessor.com

    P.S. Any feedback & comments deeply appreciated

    ReplyDelete
  4. One story that came from one of ours was of a particular Ivy League lab where the boss would stroll in twice a day very predictably. One student was quite clever at preparing for these by writing a short script on a notecard every day.

    I've come to the conclusion over time that in most labs the PI feels isolated from what is going on, and has their own pressure. Once the students start shrinking back from the PI, the PI puts more effort into reestablishing an idea of what transpires in their lab. A Vicious cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just admitted to Berkeley, and it was originally my top choice for graduate school. Were you happy overall with Berkeley? Is there anything you would have done differently in the beginning of your time at Berkeley looking back now?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a really bad experience with my slave-driving boss at UC Riverside. The slave driving was not a problem since I was a workaholic. But, after I graduated, he told me that I was too old for academia (I was 30). Then, after 3 years of post-doctoring somewhere else, I realized he was backstabbing me in the "recommendations" he was giving me. I dropped his name from my CV and I got a job. I published 5 papers with this scoundrel. But he did not like the fact that he did not pay me (I had a full scholarship from my country of origin) and I have a brain and a mouth. He did not like the fact that I realized he not no a luminary. Now, in my 60s, I realize there are no luminaries in modern chemistry. They keep beating the same dead horse, specially in Org. Chem. my major.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you considered looking into writing about physician executive mba programs ?

    The executive mba healthcare is really gaining popularity! Anyway, great blog!

    ReplyDelete